Skip to main content

Resources & Policies

Welcome to the Chapter Housing Guide!

  1. For maintenance issues, notify your Resident Director or call 4-WORK to place a work order. Tell your Resident Director about the problem and give them the work order number.

  2. When the fire alarm sounds, exit the building, gather in a designated area, and call #3333 or 911 on your cell phone or (301-405-3333) for Campus Police.

  3. Your smoke detector must be hooked up at all times and the sprinklers in your room may not be obstructed.

  4. You are responsible for any damage you cause to your room that differs from what was originally reported on the Room Condition Report when you moved in.

  5. You are responsible for your room key and student ID, which will be activated so you can swipe into the house. If you lose either of these items, report it immediately to your Resident Director.

  6. Be aware of the people coming in and out of the house and do not be afraid to ask who the person is. There are several people who have access to the house (advisors, university staff, catering staff, and cleaning staff).

  7. Although this is your home, thefts do occur in chapter houses. Keep your belongings in your room and lock your room each time you leave.

  8. In accordance with the law, no one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume alcohol in the chapter house. There is also no drinking by anyone outside of the structure (on the porch or lawn).

  9. No smoking in the house or within 15 feet of the house at any time.

  10. The Code of Student Conduct and governing council judicial policies apply to your chapter house at all times. 

The chapter houses on Fraternity Row and the Graham Cracker are property of the State of Maryland, and the University plays an active role in their management and maintenance. Although certain responsibilities for day-to-day operations are conveyed to each House Corporation, the University is nevertheless responsible for all facilities services and long-term care for its buildings. The University of Maryland has assigned staff in several key departments to maintain such standards while working closely and directly with the House Corporation to offer chapter houses for the enjoyment and use of its residents. For Fraternity Row and renovated Graham Cracker houses these standards and formal expectations are defined in the Facilities Management Requirements for Renovated Greek Houses given to each House Corporation annually as part of the lease. This document represents the basis for the partnership we hope to have with each Chapter to provide the best facilities and services throughout the academic year and summer months. The members of this partnership are described below.

Department of Residential Facilities (DRF):

The staff of the Department of Residential Facilities is responsible for providing and arranging most routine and emergency maintenance services for all University-owned housing. With nearly 95% of the work requested completed by DRF staff, more specialized services may be referred to other campus departments or to approved outside contractors. Residential Facilities staff also conducts necessary but routine inspections of university-owned housing and initiates work needed to maintain them to applicable campus and state standards. You will often see members of the DRF staff within your facility. 

Department of Facilities Management (DFM):

DFM is similar to DRF, but their responsibilities reach across all the physical facilities on campus. When necessary, DRF may request that DFM complete special types of maintenance work within your building such as maintaining your fire alarm, sprinkler systems, or roof repairs.

Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life Housing:

The Housing Team in DFSL is the primary resource for housed students and Resident Directors.  The Housing Team works to ensure that all houses are maintained at the highest levels of safety, care and cleanliness. They will also work closely with the House Manager/Risk Management Officer, especially during the various inspections, such as fire, health & safety, kitchen, etc. DFSL will make sure that work orders are completed, keys are ordered when needed, and everyone is working together to make your chapter house a place you can be proud of.

House Corporations:

The Chapter Houses on Fraternity Row and the Graham Cracker are owned by the University of Maryland and leased to the House Corporations associated with Greek-letter organizations. A House Corporation then contracts a room to you.

The House Corporations and the University of Maryland work together to keep your houses safe, secure, clean, well-maintained, and comfortable. The House Corporation has a long-term interest in the use of the house as a home base for the Chapter, and the University has a long-term interest in maintaining the property so that the house is available for your group or future groups to use. The specific working obligations of the University and the House Corporation are written down in your Chapter’s lease and the Facilities Management Requirements for Renovated Greek Chapter Houses. Copies of both documents may be obtained from your House Corporation President.

House Manager:

The House Manager is an elected or appointed undergraduate chapter member position. This person is primarily responsible for housing issues. The responsibilities vary from house to house. The House Manager is typically involved with informing residents about repair and utility problems, educating residents about safety and security, suggesting house improvements, and communicating with the Resident Director/House Director and the House Corporation. House Manager training workshops will be held throughout the year by the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life. These workshops will provide an opportunity for House Managers to share ideas with one another, as well as gain knowledge about how to be a more effective House Manager.

Resident Director:

Your Resident Director is an employee of the University, working closely with the House Corporation. In general, they are a live-in presence who manages the day-to-day operations of the facility. They will prepare for and notify the chapter of inspections, ensure proper operation of the house, issue keys and maintain key records, assist the chapter in enforcing an appropriate code of conduct, oversee proper mail delivery, coordinate check-in, and check-out, facilitate room changes, be an advising resource for the chapter, and work with the chapter’s House Manager to keep your chapter house safe and secure. Additionally, your Resident Director will work with the fraternity and sorority community to provide a variety of programming and daily direct support from the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life.


The Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life will arrange to have your banner hung at the appropriate time. Individual Chapter Houses are NOT permitted to hang any banners or signs from their house without prior approval and coordination with the Assistant Director of Housing. If you would like a banner hung for another occasion other than recruitment, please notify your Resident Director and they will contact DFSL to make arrangements to have the banner hung.


Your House Corporation has assumed several financial responsibilities through leasing and operating the house. They pay rent and also maintain required contracts such as housekeeping and catering. In turn, the chapter may seek payment from you for damages beyond normal wear and tear such as vandalism and new keys and/or lock core changes due to lost or stolen keys.

Comcast Cable:

Enhanced cable service is provided by Comcast to all private and common area rooms. No additional services or additions are available. For service, you may contact Comcast/UM directly at (301) 314-CATV (2288) or you can fill out an online service request here.


Using your own personal devices, via Ethernet connection or wireless, you can access the Campus Data Network and through it the Internet. If you need assistance in getting your personal devices connected, help is available at 301.314.DATA


House residents are encouraged to follow simple energy and water conservation practices to help keep energy use and utility costs down. By observing these simple tips you can directly help keep costs down for your chapter and help reduce the drain on our environment by:

  • Turn off lights, stereos, televisions, and appliances when you leave a room.
  • Remember to turn off lights when you are the last to leave a common area such as a living room, chapter room, and dining room.
  • Closing windows when your heat or air conditioning unit is running.
  • Keeping windows and doors (especially in public areas) closed so that there is no unnecessary loss of heat/AC.
  • Using natural light during the day. Furniture or other decorations placed in front of a window will prevent natural light from coming into the room and block a fire exit.
  • Turn the faucet and shower handles tightly to prevent dripping.
  • Shorten shower times and use a stopper to fill basins rather than running the water.


Your House Corporation is required to have a housekeeping contractor clean the common areas of your house five times per week. This contractor will perform tasks such as emptying trash cans in public areas, sweeping, mopping, and waxing floors in public areas, and cleaning and disinfecting the bathrooms. See Kitchen /Housekeeping Standards which are included with your lease for specific details.

Cleaning up after yourself is the responsibility of everyone in the house. You are responsible for cleaning your individual room, and your trash must be taken outside to the dumpsters. In public areas such as the living room, dining room, and stairwells, everyone should pick up after themselves. This is especially important during the weekend when the housekeeping staff is typically off duty. To leave the weekend accumulation of trash until the housekeeping arrives on Monday is unacceptable.

Heating/Air Conditioning:

In each chapter house, there is a central mechanical utility room that supplies central heating and air conditioning (AC) to a fan unit in each room throughout the house. Each unit has two small doors which access the controls for regulating heating/AC in your room. Window AC units are NOT permitted since central air is available in all rooms. Any person who installs a window unit will be billed $50.00 for each day it is in place and the unit may ultimately be confiscated. For Fraternity Row in the fall, AC is usually changed over to heat around October. Your Resident Director/House Director will notify you when the change will take place. Due to changing weather patterns, there may be times when the house will be too warm or chilly because the heat or AC has not been switched over yet. Please be patient as the systems are changed over. The Graham Cracker houses have AC and heating year-round.

In order for your heating/AC unit to properly warm or chill the air in your room, vents on the heating/AC unit must be free to take in air at the bottom and circulate air at the top. In addition, your heating/AC should remain accessible so that air filters can be replaced during the winter break. This means that furniture should not be placed so as to block airflow.

Residents may NOT use space heaters.

Persistent problems with heating should be reported to 4-WORK and your Resident Director/House Director, who can work with DRF to provide safe space heaters if problems are prolonged. During warmer weather, you may choose to use a circulating fan. Turn off the fan when you are not present and observe general safety precautions.

Holiday Lights/Outdoor Decorations:

Holiday lights and outdoor decorations may only be put up with the permission of the DFSL Housing Coordinator. Lights must be outdoor-rated and only plugged into outdoor sockets. NO nails, tacks, staples, duct tape, or anything that would puncture or permanently stain may be used. You will be notified when lights can be put up and when they should be taken down. No one may go on the roof and portico when putting up or removing decorations.

The chapter will be fined $500.00 for any student who goes out on the roof and/ or portico at any time, for any reason.

House Projects/Common Area Decorations:

Occasionally, the chapter may want to undertake a project to personalize or improve the living conditions of the chapter house. Examples of such projects include carpeting or painting rooms, installing additional shelving or bulletin boards, painting or anchoring the Chapter’s crest, securing signs, constructing an outside barbecue, etc. Your House Manager, Resident Director/House Director, and House Corporation in conjunction with the Associate Director of Facilities for Fraternity and Sorority Life will work together on these projects. The University must approve all projects through the project proposal process. Ideas for changes should be submitted to your Resident Director/House Director, who will then pass them along to the Associate Director of Facilities for Fraternity and Sorority Life. A project Request Form can be found at

All decorations in common areas must be appropriate for all potential audiences.


The U.S. Postal Service will pick up and deliver U.S. Mail to your chapter house Monday through Saturday (excluding holidays).

Please note: On-campus mail cannot be delivered through these mailboxes, and any damage to the mailbox should be reported to 4-WORK. If you arrange for newspaper delivery, it will be left on the front porch of the chapter house. UPS, FedEx, and other delivery services also deliver to the Row. Some services may leave the packages on the porch if no one answers the door, while others will leave notification of delivery and try again the next day. Mailbox, Etc. is in the Stamp Student Union where you can send packages, drop off mail, and buy stamps. There is also a United States Post Office near the College Park Metro stop.

Maintenance (4-WORK):

Your House Corporation pays monthly rent for the chapter house that includes basic maintenance, repairs, etc.

Request a Repair:

If there is something in the house in need of repair please contact Residential Facilities at 4-WORK or contact your House Director (each chapter has different policies, so make sure you know yours!). Once you have told the 4-WORK operator about the problem, location, etc., please ask for a Work Order number and pass it on to your Resident Fellow/House Director so they can follow up if necessary.

In order to plan work efficiently, work requests will be prioritized by the seriousness of the problem and completed in accordance with other problems that DRF is handling. If there seems to be a long delay in getting the problem fixed, please be sure to follow up with your Resident Director.

If you discover an emergency maintenance problem that presents an immediate health or safety risk, please call 4-WORK and notify your Resident Director/House Director immediately. Examples of emergency problems include flooding, loss of building heat, loss of building electricity, failure of the building alarm system, or exterior doors or floor windows that cannot be locked or secured.

Please remember that a request for routine or emergency work is considered an authorization for staff to enter your room for work purposes, if necessary. When maintenance staff prepares to handle requests for work, they will obtain a key to access individual rooms. Routine maintenance services provided by Residential Facilities staff normally occur no earlier than 9 AM and not later than 4 PM.

If the problem is in an individual room, you can expect that when staff members arrive, they will first knock to see if anyone is at home. If they do not hear a response, they will announce themselves and use the key to enter your room. Residential Facilities employees are uniformed and will have an identification card.

If work requested for your space is completed while no one is present, the staff member will leave a copy of a printed work request behind. As a general security precaution, staff will also unprop and lock all doors as they leave, even if your door was originally unlocked.

Pest Control:

Pest control is provided by the University through private contractors. Please report any insect/pest problems to your Resident Director/House Director to arrange a visit for this service. In order to prevent pest problems, pest control services may apply pesticides in common areas and the individual rooms. Your Resident Director/House Director will have more information about this work. You can help prevent pest problems by keeping these points in mind:

  • Make sure your window screens fit tightly (there should be no gaps where insects can crawl through) and keep it installed in your window.
  • Do not prop open doors, especially basement doors and doors near bushes (mice, squirrels, and other rodents can enter the chapter house while the door is open).
  • Do not leave uncovered food and drink around, especially near windows.
  • Spot clean spills. Look behind furniture, down walls, and under carpets when you have had a more serious spill. Let your Resident Director/House Director know that follow-up cleaning might be needed from the housekeeping service in the area of spill.
  • Keep the chimney flue closed when the fireplace is not in use (birds and rodents can enter the chapter house by coming down the chimney).
  • Place all trash in containers and don’t allow room trash to build up in your trashcans. Empty recycling containers at least once each week. Clean food and drink spills in trashcans regularly.
  • Clean out your refrigerator during break periods and remove all food from your room when checking out.
  • Proper cleaning of utensils and appliances, storage of food in airtight containers, and complete disposal of waste and scraps will help prevent pests, such as cockroaches and ants.


One large blue recycling bin has been issued to your house. Please ask your House Manager or House Director/Resident Director where it is located. These bins should be lined with clear, tinted trash bags. Cans, bottles, and plastic can be placed in these lined recycling bins, which your housekeeper will empty as needed. Clear, tinted bags containing recyclables should be placed beside the dumpsters behind the Row for collection on Tuesdays and Thursdays. There are also large, green, recycling bins for glass, plastic bottles and cans located behind each house. Green paper and cardboard recycling units are in various locations in the parking lot behind the row. Please make an effort to recycle because Greek Terps Recycle!

Roofs and Porticos:

You may NOT climb onto any roof surface, fire escape, or on top of the portico. Falling is a real danger and climbing on the roof may damage the slate or flashing and lead to a roof leak. In particular, the top of the portico (above the columns) is covered with a thin waterproof covering which may puncture if your weight is placed on it. Evidence of violations will result in disciplinary action against the chapter or individuals involved. There will be a fine of $500.00 for each person seen in violation of this policy. To avoid damage from excess weight, banners cannot be hung from house porticos

Selling /Conducting a Business:

University-owned fraternity and sorority houses cannot be used for commercial activity. No residents may conduct a business or other commercial activity using their room, room address, room phone or data jack without prior written permission from the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life Housing Coordinator or Associate Director for Facilities. Residents may invite a commercial sales representative as a personal guest in the rooms, but these representatives cannot solicit to others or use the University-owned fraternity or sorority houses to advertise their presence or products.


Your Resident Director/House Director manages the storage space in the house for unused room furnishings or personal possessions. Very little space is available. If you have large equipment that needs to be stored (kayak, skis, athletic gear), you will have to consider outside storage options.

Telephone Services:

It is up to the House Corporations, with assistance from the Resident Director/House Director, to activate all of the chapter room phones. Some choose to turn on all phones, while others will give you the choice. If you are given a hoice and choose to activate your room phone please contact your Resident Director/House Director for more information.


Bicycles should be locked in the bike racks installed at the rear of each house. DO NOT lock bicycles to railings, lamp posts, ramps, hand-rails, etc. If bicycles are locked to railings, lamp posts, hand-rails, etc., the lock will be cut off.

Mopeds and motorcycles may not be brought indoors. If permitted by your Resident Director/House Director and your House Corporation, bicycles may be brought indoors but must be stored in a designated basement area. Bicycle storage is not allowed in individual rooms, hallways or stairwells. Keep a thorough description of your bicycle, and register your bicycle with University Police by calling 301.405.3555. This could aid in recovery if theft occurs.

Please visit DOTS website for more information about UMD shuttle service.

If you are driving to campus, please visit DOTS website for more information about parking. Parking on grass, basketball courts, and volleyball courts is prohibited. Violations are subject to fines.


Trash dumpsters are located behind the Chapter Houses located on Fraternity Row. Items too bulky to be placed in the garbage can within the house should be disposed of in the dumpster.


Screens on the windows help to prevent entry of insects and birds. On the ground floors, the screens are vandal-resistant screens. Screens should not be removed. Screens which cannot be securely installed or that have holes should be reported to your Resident Director/House Director. Missing screens will be reported for replacement (the Chapter House Corporation will be subsequently billed). Screens should not be removed in order to move objects in and out of rooms during which you may damage the window or the frame. Sitting on or leaning out of windows or attaching anything to the outside of the window can also cause damage. Window Limiters have been installed in some windows to prevent these windows from being used as an entrance in lieu of a door. Removal of these devices is prohibited and considered a significant safety violation.


Burning candles or incense in your room or house is prohibited. Occasionally, the chapter may sponsor a religious activity or an officially sanctioned Chapter ceremony in a public area where candles may be burned. In these instances, a sturdy holder must be used which prevents hot wax from falling onto any surface. During these ceremonies, burning candles MUST NOT be left unattended. Many chapters purchase battery powered lights for these ceremonies and have found this to be a safe option. Evidence of candles or incense being burned in a student room will lead to immediate referral to the Office of Student Conduct.

Circuit Breaker Panels:

Circuit breaker panels are located in each hallway. Residents are asked to contact 4-WORK and their Resident Director/House Director when a circuit appears to have “tripped”. Once reset, a circuit that is overloaded might be restored by simply unplugging or turning off an appliance. A circuit may be overloading because of a problem with your appliance, a “short” in the wiring, or a defective circuit breaker. As a way to keep maintenance personnel aware of a condition that needs repair, the circuit breaker panels have been locked, and a DRF staff member must reset breakers. Residents should not attempt to open the panels or reset any breakers.


Students are not permitted in the Chapter House kitchens. Cooking is not permitted in your room or public areas. Cooking is permitted ONLY if your house has a student/weekend kitchen. The only permissible appliances in this area are popcorn poppers, microwaves, coffee pots, and hot water pots that have enclosed heating elements and bear the UL seal. You may not bring the following items for your room: microwaves, micro-fridges, electric skillets, George Forman grills, crockpots or appliances with open or exposed heating elements or coils, such as hotplates, toasters, and toaster ovens. Small refrigerators are permitted in student rooms.

Fire Drill:

Once each semester your chapter house will be scheduled for a fire drill. Please cooperate with personnel conducting the drill and take this opportunity to consider what your actions will be in the event of an emergency. Fire drills are repeated at an additional cost to the chapter until a satisfactory performance is attained. Anyone whose actions are in violation causing your chapter to fail a fire drill should be brought before the Chapter’s judicial board, and conduct violations may also be brought before the Office of Student Conduct.

3 Tips to Passing a Fire Drill

  1. Leave the building quickly
  2. Meet on the grass outside the house, but do NOT cross the street
  3. Call 911!

Fire Escape:

Unless you are exiting for a fire emergency, you should NOT be on the fire escapes at any time. If exiting by the fire escape during a fire or a drill, press the push bar for the door to open. There will be a 15 second delay and an alarm will sound. If you truly need to exit, remain calm, keep pressing and know that it will open. DO NOT store anything on the fire escapes or in fire exit hallways.

Anytime the fire alarm sounds in your house, evacuate the building immediately using the closest exit. Exit the house quickly and quietly and call 911. ALWAYS assume an emergency; NEVER assume a false alarm.

Do not open your door if the knob or door itself is warm to the touch. Stay in your room and call 911. If you encounter smoke, crawl on the floor where the air is fresher.

For other evacuation options, check the Fire Evacuation poster hanging in each room.

Fire Inspections:

Your Chapter house will have a scheduled Fire Inspection once each semester. The detailed inspections involve checking for the following items (not an exhaustive list):

  1. Smoke detector is functioning.
  2. Furniture does not block room doors or windows, and there is no unapproved furniture (lofts, canopy beds, etc.) present.
  3. There are no decorations on the ceiling which block sprinkler flow.
  4. There is not an excessive accumulation of trash in the room.
  5. There is no evidence of candles, oil lamps, lanterns, or incense, in the room.
  6. There are no flammable and combustible materials such as lamp oil, propane, gasoline, paint, paint thinner, charcoal, lighter fluid, etc. being stored in the room.
  7. No hazardous appliances, other than University approved appliances, are in the room.
  8. There are no extension cords being used as permanent wiring or outlet splitters in use.
  9. No torchiere lamps, open halogen lamps, heat-producing string lights or other unsafe lights in the room.
  10. Any other room items or personal possessions that may represent a safety hazard are not permitted by University policy.

Specific items that are permitted and not permitted may occasionally change. This is due to the ongoing safety evaluations being done by national fire safety organizations and the University of Maryland safety professionals.

Fire Prevention:

Prevention tactics can go a long way toward avoiding fires. The following tips can help:

  • Check your family insurance policy (either homeowner’s or renter’s) to see if your possessions are covered while you have them on campus. If this policy does not insure your belongings at school, you should secure a policy of your own or your chapter may want to seek property insurance as a group.
  • Write down brand names, purchase prices and dates, and serial numbers of all valuables. You should also record the account numbers, expiration dates, and contact numbers for your credit cards. This information should be kept separate from other valuables and in a safe location. In case of a theft, this information will be very useful to cancel your accounts, make insurance claims, and possibly recover your belongings.
  • Engraving an identifying number, such as your driver’s license number, on your valuables so they may be positively identified by police and returned if recovered is also recommended. Engraving is a free service and can be obtained by calling the Police Department at 301.405.3555.
  • Cook only if your house has an approved student/weekend kitchen.
  • Use current power strips with Underwriters Laboratory (UL) seal with a built-in circuit breaker.Extension cords are not permitted. Outlet splitters are not permitted.
  • Limit the number of appliances that are plugged in or in use at one time.
  • Do not use push pins, nails, or staples to secure a cord to the wall or floor or pin a cord(s) between a bed frame (or other metal object) and the wall. The metal can wear down the plastic and cause the cord to arc.
  • All stairwells and accesses to fire escapes must be kept clear at all times. These areas cannot be used for any temporary or permanent storage. Doors to stairwells must not be blocked.
  • Exit signs must not be covered or tampered with in any way.

Fire Safety Equipment (and what to do in a real or suspected fire emergency):

Sprinklers, smoke detectors, and any other fire suppression equipment located in your chapter house are intended to help prevent injury to you and others in the event of a fire. If you believe that any of this equipment is damaged or inoperable, immediately report this to 4-WORK, then your Resident Director/House Director or the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

NOTHING is to be hung from or blocking a sprinkler head. This includes flags, banners, curtains and posters.Misusing or tampering with fire safety equipment places all house residents at risk.

Misusing or damaging fire safety equipment is a crime, which may result in criminal prosecution. It is also a violation of the Code of Student Conduct and will result in a referral to the Office of Student Conduct for serious disciplinary sanctions.


Automatic sprinklers are installed in your chapter house. The sprinkler heads are heat activated and, as such, are sensitive equipment. When water flows from the sprinkler head, the fire alarm system will automatically sound. It is important that nothing is hung from the sprinklers heads, nor are they tampered with in any way. If you throw something and it hits the sprinkler head, it may activate, releasing 21 gallons of water per minute, causing extensive flooding and water damage. It is for this reason that you are prohibited from playing outdoor sports inside your chapter house.

Smoke Detectors:

Smoke detectors are provided in rooms and hallways to help prevent personal injury and loss of life. DO NOT disconnect, remove, cover, or tamper with any part of a smoke detector. Tampering with a smoke detector is a state and federal violation and could result in criminal prosecutions. Periodic inspections will be made to see that smoke detectors are in working condition. If you believe that a smoke detector is inoperable, please report this immediately to 4-WORK, then your Resident Director/House Director or the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

If a smoke detector is sounding in your room and there is a fire, close the door, pull the fire alarm as you leave the building, and call 911 to report the fire. Rely on the fire alarm to alert residents. DO NOT attempt to personally evacuate residents or fight the fire yourself. If a smoke detector is sounding in your room and there is no fire, open windows and doors and tell other residents that there is no fire. If the detector does not stop sounding, the smoke detector may be broken or something else such as smoking or cooking in a room may be causing it to sound. Report such situations to your Resident Director/House Director immediately. If you hear a detector sounding in a closed room, DO NOT open the door. If there is a fire in the room, opening the door may result in fueling the fire. Knock on the door and if there is no response, pull the fire alarm, leave the building and call 911.


Firearms of any kind are NOT permitted. Possession of a firearm is cause for expulsion from housing.

Firecrackers and Flammable Materials:

The following items listed below are NOT permitted and pose an extreme hazard to safety, and therefore cannot be stored anywhere in the house or on any person. Possession of any of these items will jeopardize your ability to live in a Chapter House : Firecrackers and other firework; Gasoline, kerosene, propane, and other flammable fuels or their containers; Highly flammable or combustible materials; Motorcycles, mopeds, or any other device with combustion engines. Residents should also be aware that some items may not be on their person or kept on University property which are prohibited by the Code of Student Conduct. These items /property include: weapons of any type, controlled substances, illegal drugs, and stolen property. Anyone possessing these items will be brought before the Office of Student Conduct.


(Note: Fraternity Row fireplaces are sealed and inoperable). For Graham Cracker houses, your House Corporation will regulate the chapter’s use of the fireplace. Please see your House Director about any chapter guidelines for the fireplace. In order to use your fireplace, the chimney must have been cleaned within the year and certified useable by the Associate Director of Facilities for the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life. If this certification has been obtained regarding the fireplace in your house please follow these guidelines:

  • You must have a screen, grate, and fire tools before you attempt to use the fire place.
  • You must open the flue to allow for the smoke to rise up the chimney and leave the building safely.
  • You may only burn logs intended for fireplaces. You may not burn furniture or other flammable materials other than logs.
  • The fire must be contained within the space of the fireplace and not extending out beyond the side walls.
  • The screen must be in place once the fire is established and until it is completely out.
  • Someone must attend to the fire at all times while it is burning.
  • When the fire is completely out, the flu should be closed.
  • Operational fireplaces must be cleaned of accumulated ashes regularly.
  • Operational fireplaces are not to be used as ashtrays. Smoking is not permitted in Chapter houses.
  • The use of starter fluids to start a fire is NOT permitted.
  • Be certain that all combustible materials are kept away from the flame and heat of the fire.
  • Make sure that the fire is completely extinguished when finished with the fireplace.


Each room is equipped with at least two outlets for every room occupant. Although both you and your roommate may each have a clock, desk lamp, refrigerator, computer, etc., the electrical capacities of the building are limited. Please minimize the number of appliances that are operating at the same time. Use power strips with a built in circuit breaker possessing an Underwriters Laboratory (UL) seal and DO NOT use extension cords. One of the most frequent causes of fires in student rooms is the use of extension cords. Please follow these additional guidelines when using power strips:

  • Only use a power strip carrying an Underwriter’s Laboratory seal or approval. The power strip should not have any areas with worn plastic or cracks, especially where the strip is attached to the plug or sockets on either end.
  • The power strip cord should be the same thickness or gauge as the appliance cord or larger.
  • Cords must not be run under carpets.
  • Tacks used to guide cords should go around the cord, rather than pushed through the plastic.
  • Do not pin the cord between a bed frame (or other metal object) and the wall. The metal can wear down the plastic and cause a short.
  • Do not use a three prong or two prong converter in order to attach an appliance. The converter removes the grounding of your appliance and increases the chances of receiving an electrical shock.


SMOKING is NOT permitted anywhere in University-owned fraternity or sorority houses.

Trash Cans:

NO OPEN trash cans are permitted in halls and stairwells. Fire-rated trash cans with fitted lids are permitted as long as they do not obstruct residents’ access to fire exits.

All Move-in, Move-out, and Holiday Break Procedures will be coordinated by the Resident Director/House Director with cooperation from the House Corporation and Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life policies and procedures.

Fraternity Row Move-in Procedures:

  1. A move-in date will be established with the House Corporation, Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life, and the Resident Director/House Director.
  2. Check-in procedures will be established by the Resident Director/House Director, including things such as Room Condition Reports and the issuing of keys.
  3. During check-in, residents moving in must complete meningitis information, as well as sign that they received their Chapter House Guidebook information.

Semester Move-out Procedures:

  1. Move out should be completed by 5 p.m. on the Saturday after Finals Week unless an alternative time has been agreed upon with your House Director/ Resident Director.
  2. All residents must sign up for check-out with their Resident Director/House Director 24 hours in advance of when they intend to check out. During check-out each Resident Director/House Director will review the condition of the room with the resident and all damages will be documented on the original Room Condition Report. Both the Resident Director/House Director and resident will sign and date the report. Should the student fail to attend this final inspection, this will be interpreted as consent to the findings of the Resident Director/House Director and not open to appeal.
  3. All rooms must be thoroughly cleaned, swept and empty of personal items. The resident will be billed for any cleaning that has been neglected. All windows must be closed and locked. Screens should be in place. There will be a charge for any missing screens.
  4. All trash must be removed and, along with bulk items, should be taken to the dumpster. Any items that can be recycled or donated, should be.
  5. Each room’s original furniture must be returned to each room and arranged in an orderly fashion.
  6. Double-check and clean out all drawers and closets to make sure that nothing is left behind. Any neglected items will be disposed of at a cost to the resident.
  7. Leave cable TV cord in the room if the Chapter provided one upon arrival.
  8. If carpet is used in a non-carpeted room, it must be removed.
  9. Walls must be cleared of all personal decorations, nails, tacks, or other mounting materials.
  10. Hallways and common areas must be clear of trash and/or bulk items.

Changing rooms inside the house:

The above instructions apply. The Resident Director/House Director will issue keys to your new room.

Moving out of the Chapter House only for the Summer:

In addition to above instruction, please fill out a change of address form obtained from your RD/ HD and turn it in to them along with your keys.

If your house is hosting an outside group over the Break:

The above instructions apply.


  1. Any violation of the codes outlined in the Greek House Chapter Guide will result in damage charges to the chapter.
  2. Final Chapter damage charges will be made by the Housing Coordinator or Associate Director of Facilities within the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life. Final individual damage charges will be determined by a Chapter’s individual House Corporation.


Students may not cook in, use or be in the Chapter House kitchens. Cooking is not permitted in your room or public areas. Cooking is permitted ONLY if your house has a student/weekend kitchen. The only permissible appliances in this area are popcorn poppers, microwaves, coffee pots, and hot water pots that have enclosed heating elements and bear the UL seal. You may not bring the following items for your room: microwaves, micro-fridges, electric skillets, George Forman grills, crockpots or appliances with open or exposed heating elements or coils, such as hotplates, toasters, and toaster ovens. Small refrigerators are permitted in student rooms.


The House Corporation operates your chapter house’s kitchen. Only certified food handlers may use these commercial kitchens. Regular health inspections will be conducted. Some houses have a student/weekend kitchen that may be used.


A space has been provided in your house basement for your chapter to arrange for laundry equipment. Please be sure to empty and fully dispose of dryer lint. An accumulation of lint is a fire hazard as it can heat up and ignite. Also, make sure that the area around and behind the dryer stays clear of trash, lint, clothes, etc. Yearly cleaning of lint ducts will be conducted by a University contractor.


Refrigerators are permitted in individual rooms as long as they meet the requirements listed below. When arranging your room, please keep in mind that your refrigerator will need clearance on all sides in order to operate properly.

Refrigerator safety specifications:

  • 5.0 cubic feet maximum
  • 1.5 amp maximum
  • 120 volts, 60 cycle AC
  • Grounding type, 3-prong electric plug and 3-wire cord
  • Underwriters Laboratory (UL) Seal of Approval

Individual Room Decorations & Alterations:

Please follow the guidelines below when personalizing your room. The same guidelines also apply to decorations and alterations in the common areas of the house.


  • Bunk the beds and arrange the furniture with an eye for accessibility to outlets.
  • Bring a carpet or rug.
  • Hang posters or wall decorations. Use removable products, push pins, poster putty, or picture hangers
  • Bring a phone, stereo, computer and TV.
  • Put a message board on your door


  • Paint any surface.
  • Affix anything to the walls or ceilings in a way that will damage the surface (Nails, wall anchors/shields requiring holes for mounting screws, and/or lag bolts, glue, strong or double-sided tapes, or coverings such as contact or wall paper cannot be used).
  • Place decals or bumper stickers on ANY surface using the self-adhesive backing.
  • Use carpet tacks or double-sided and/or removable tape to hold a rug or carpet in place.
  • Install dimmers, fans, or alter light switches or the electrical wiring in anyway.
  • Place flammable decorations near lights or warm surfaces.
  • Make permanent or semi-permanent changes such as installing hooks, paneling, ceiling fans, or wall-mounted shelves
  • Remove closet rods, closet doors, towel bars, etc. without approval from the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
  • Cover or obstruct smoke detectors and sprinkler heads (NOTHING should be hung from the fire safety equipment).
  • Place weight on pipe coverings, ceiling tiles, or window sills.
  • Remove window screens.

Individual Room Furniture:

Please work with your Resident Director/House Director to coordinate the repairs and cleaning of furniture. You may be allowed to bring some of your own furniture as well; however, waterbeds and lofts are not permitted.


Constructed lofts are NOT allowed in any University-owned housing. Bunk beds and furniture designed to be lofted are good alternatives to constructed lofts. Cinder blocks are not permitted. Only bed risers specifically designed for that purpose may be used.


Pets, aside from fish in small tanks, and then only one per room, (20 gallons or less) ARE PROHIBITED (see the Chapter’s lease) for several reasons. Please also note that pets accompanying guests and non-resident members are prohibited.

Room Assignments:

Your chapter coordinates room assignments and individual room lease agreements. Please see your Resident Director/House Director for further information about check-in and check-out dates or if you need to make any changes in your housing arrangement throughout the year.


If you live in a double, triple, or quad, you not only have roommates, you are a roommate. To have a successful relationship, you will need to learn to negotiate and open lines of communication. It is a good idea to discuss these issues with your roommate(s):

  • Privacy needs.
  • Hours you sleep.
  • Hours you study.

If a roommate conflict does arise and you need assistance working through it, please contact your Resident Director/House Director.

Early Warning Systems:

The University has an Early Warning System, consisting of a series of sirens, to alert the campus community of potentially life threatening emergencies. The Early Warning System is designed to provide instant notification to students, faculty, and staff who may be outside of imminent dangerous conditions. The sirens are loud enough to alert the entire University outside areas, and areas contiguous to the University where many in our community live and study. This includes the fraternity and sorority houses.

Siren Tones:

Emergencies: A steady tone will sound for at least three minutes.

All Clear: One short blast that will sound for less than 30 seconds.

If you hear an Early Warning System, you should proceed as follows:

  • If inside a building, remain inside and seek information from the sources listed below. The information sources will provide direction on the next actions individuals should take.
  • If not inside a building seek shelter inside the closest accessible building and see information from the sources below.

Information Sources:

Early Warning System Siren Test

The system will be tested the first Wednesday of each month at 11:55 a.m. and the test will consist of a full 30 seconds audible test of the sirens.

Each Wednesday, at 5:00 p.m., there will be a very short test that will last no more than 5-10 seconds and will be audible only if you are close to one of the sirens.

For more information on the Early Warning System, please visit

Inclement Weather:

In case of inclement weather check for further information and check with your Resident Director/House Director for proper procedures. For snow day information, call the snow hotline at (301) 405-SNOW or visit Inclement Weather FAQs.


University staff will conduct at least three types of inspections to notify and inform the chapter of safety and operational problems. (1) Fire safety inspections will be conducted by the Department of Environmental Safety with coordination from the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life once each semester. (2) Maintenance inspections will be conducted by staff from DRF (3) Health and sanitation inspections will be conducted by the Department of Dining Services with coordination from the Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life. The fire department may also inspect public assemblies, alarm system status, and individual room smoke detectors.

Inspections may be random or scheduled and may require entering individual rooms. A house representative is welcome (but in some cases this is not required) to accompany the inspectors. See your Resident Director/House Director for further information about inspections.

Keys, Locks, and Security:

Dead-bolt type locks, self-closing hinges and door closers are installed on all individual rooms. Although the self-closing hinges and door closers will shut the door behind you, it will not lock without a key.

Keys are issued to you by your Resident Director/House Director and should be kept with you at all times. If you get locked out of your room, a spare key is available from your Resident Director/House Director.

Keys and locks are intended to protect you and your personal belongings, as well as those of your roommate(s). The following tips will help to keep you and all of the residents of your house safe:

  • Do not leave your room keys in your mailbox or otherwise out of your possession.
  • Always report any lost or stolen key(s) to your Resident Director/House Director
  • Always lock your door when you or your roommate(s) are not in the room, even when you are showering.
  • Do not duplicate any keys. Consult with your Resident Director/House Director if additional copies of keys are needed.
  • Do not attach your keys to anything that specifically identifies you or the chapter house. If your keys are stolen, this information could be used by a criminal to identify your room.
  • Do not prop open exterior doorsfor any length of time. This will help prevent theft, as well as prevent unwanted animals and rodents from entering the building. Immediately report any doors that do not close entirely or cannot be secured to 4-WORK and your Resident Director/House Director.
  • Avoid damaging doors in a way that might prevent them from closing properly.

Yanking or popping doors open without a key, wedging material into hinges, removing the door, or tampering with the latching mechanism and lock are all likely to create damage that will prevent proper closing and locking of a door. These doors are fire-rated and are part of the fire safety equipment in your house. During the Fire Inspections and monthly walk throughs performed by the Housing Coordinator and your Resident Director/ House Director, the automatic closing and latching features of these doors will be checked. Tampering with these is a violation of the fire safety code and puts your Chapter at risk in the event of a fire. Anyone found having tampered with a door in such a way as to prevent it from closing and latching automatically may be referred to the Chapter’s internal judicial board and/or the Office of Student Conduct.

  • Your Resident Director/House Director, House Corporation, and University officials must be able to gain access to all rooms in your house in case of an emergency. Do not install personal locks or security chains on your door, window, or closets. Personal locks will be immediately removed by facilities personnel.
  • Window locks have been installed to protect your room from illegal entry. Window locks should always be left in the “locked’ position when the window is closed since outside access form the ground is possible. When you are the last to leave a common area, such as the basement, living room, or chapter room, make sure windows are closed and locked.

There will be very few times when it will be necessary to use a master or submaster key to unlock a resident’s room without their permission. To preserve a resident’s sense of privacy in their living space, we are extremely cautious about keying into a room.The following are seven situations in which it is permissible to key into a student’s room:

  1. For room checks after residents have checked out prior to closing for a break to make sure that all windows are closed and electronics are unplugged.
  2. During building emergencies such as tornadoes, fire alarms, plumbing, or electricalmalfunctions.
  3. When a University police officer with proper identification requests that you accompany they to key in to a resident’s room.
  4. When you have a reasonable suspicion that a resident is seriously ill, injured, distressed, or possibly needs immediate medical attention, and is not able to respond to your requests to open the door.
  5. When behavior or activity occurring in a room is disruptive to other residents, and the occupants of the room are not at home or have not responded to requests to open the door.
  6. When maintenance work in that room must be performed and the occupant is not around to let the worker in.
  7. Fire/Health/Safety inspections.

Key Swipe:

Your house’s entryways are secured with key card swipe access. Your University identification card should allow you to access your house. If your card does not work, please contact your Resident Director/House Director. Please Note: The key swipe card access was installed for your safety. Do not allow someone to follow you into your house that you do not know. Do not tamper with the key swipe card system. Any damage done to the system will be fined to the House Corporation and may result in charges being filed with the Office of Student Conduct.

Personal Belongings:

When thefts have occurred on campus, they have, in most instances, resulted from residents leaving their rooms unlocked, leaving keys unattended while they shower, leaving possessions unattended in a lounge, hallway, laundry room, or other common space, propping exterior doors, and not confronting strangers in the house.

To adequately protect your belongings, you should avoid the practices listed above. Although the chapter house may create a feeling of security because it is a home for your Greek organization, there are frequent intruders and thefts on campus. House residents may think that no one would be daring enough to steal something from a fraternity or sorority house, but these crimes do occur.

Please remember that the chapter houses are located next to an active roadway, within walking distance from downtown College Park, and on the edge of off-campus living areas. Do not take the risk to assume that your house is untouchable! This is especially important during any time when classes are not in session or during the summer when fewer students are on campus.

The University is not liable for any theft, loss, or damage to your personal property. You should avoid bringing large sums of money and valuables into the Chapter house. Money collected for any activity or purpose such as philanthropy or fundraising should be immediately secured or deposited in a Chapter bank account. Since you may need to have valuables such as computer, stereos, watches, cameras, etc. in your chapter house it is suggested that you:

  • Check your family’s current insurance policy (either homeowner’s or renter’s) to see if your possessions are covered while you have them on campus. If this policy does not insure your belongings at school, you should obtain a policy of your own or your chapter may want to seek property insurance as a group.
  • Write down brand names, purchase prices and dates, and serial numbers of all valuables. You should also record the account numbers, expiration dates, and contact numbers for your credit cards. This information should be kept separate from other valuables and in a safe location. In case of a theft, this information will be very useful to cancel your accounts, make insurance claims, and possibly recover your belongings.
  • Engraving an identifying number, such as your driver’s license number, on your valuables so they may be positively identified by police and returned if recovered is also recommended. Engraving is a free service and can be obtained by calling the Police Department at 301.405.3555.

Personal Safety Precautions:

  • Notify Police immediately if you see any non-resident entering rooms who is not uniformed, refuses to provide an identification card, or who does not first knock and announce themselves.
  • Walk with friends in a group or call for an escort.
  • Ride Shuttle-UM buses after dark, or after 3:00 a.m. call 301-314-2255 for curb-to-curb service by Shuttle-UM vans.
  • Walk in well-lit and well-traveled areas.
  • Always be aware of your surroundings.
  • Know the locations of the nearest emergency phones.
  • Be wary of persons you don’t know.
  • Report suspicious persons or activity to police.
  • Stay away from relatively isolated areas.
  • Plan what you will do if confronted by a potential assailant (run, scream, etc.)

Safety and Security Resources:

Remember, calls made to 911 from a CAMPUS phone will connect with the University Police Emergency Line. Calls made from a cell phone will connect with an outside agency.

Group and Individual Conduct:

Residents are expected to abide by the house rules and by the Code of Student Conduct. The Code of Student Conduct can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog or online at

This guide does not explain policies established by the Interfraternity Council (IFC), the Panhellenic Association (PHA), or the rules put in place by your Chapter. Please see the IFC and PHA websites or ask your chapter representative for information about the social policies. Some Chapters may decide to establish additional agreements that cover issues such as guests, quiet hours, use and care of individual rooms and common space, etc. These rules may be covered in an agreement you signed to live in the house.

It is important to keep in mind that any illegal activity will NOT be tolerated. This includes illegal drug use, use of non-prescribed prescription drugs, underage drinking, or dealing drugs out of the chapter house. Any illegal activity will be reported to the University police.


Hazing is against the law in the State of Maryland. Please see the Code of Student Conduct for the University of Maryland’s no tolerance for hazing policy:

For those who would want to report acts of hazing anonymously, you may call the OFSL 24-hour On-Call Line: 240.432.6053

Visitors and Guests:

Your Chapter or House Corporation may have already established guidelines for visitors and guests to the Chapter house. You and your roommate(s) may want to agree on a few additional guidelines to avoid any problems or inconveniences. In any case, all visitors should be held to the same expectations that are described in this guide. An important reminder is that you are responsible for the actions of your visitors/guests. This includes friends who are over to see you, overnight guests, and anyone attending a Chapter function. This is a provision in the Student Code of Conduct and applies everywhere on campus, not only in the chapter house. Depending on how your house operates, one result may be that you will be billed for damages created by your guest(s).

Ignorance of University and Greek Chapter House policies will not be accepted as an excuse, as students are expected to read this guidebook and the Student Code of Conduct.

Hospital Information

1 - DOCTORS Hospital 8118 Good Luck Rd., Lanham, MD 20706

Tel: 301.552.8118


  • End at 8118 GOOD LUCK RD LANHAM MD

2 - Prince George’s Hospital Center 3001 Hospital Dr, Hyattsville, MD 20785

Tel: 301.618.2000


  • Turn LEFT onto MD-410 E/E WEST HWY, MD-410 E/E WEST HWY becomes RIVERDALE RD
  • Take the BALT. /WASH. PKWY. ramp towards WASHINGTON
  • Merge onto MD-295 S
  • Take the MD-202 exit towards CHEVERLY
  • Turn LEFT onto MD-202 E/LANDOVER RD
  • Take the BALT. / WASH. PKWY. ramp towards BALTIMORE/BWI
  • Keep LEFT at the fork in the ramp
  • Turn LEFT onto HOSPITAL DR.

3 - Washington Adventist Hospital 7600 Carroll Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20910

Tel: 301.891.7600



DFSL 24-hour On-Call Line:

To report incidents, hazing, transports, etc. (anonymously) call 240.432.6053

Campus Police, Non-Emergency:



Campus Police, EMERGENCY:

301.405.3333 or #3333 (if on campus)

Campus Reservations:


Counseling Center:


Health Center:


Nearest Hospital:


Doctor’s Community Hospital:

8118 Good Luck Rd. Lanham, MD, 20706

Office of Campus Programs (OCP):


Department off Fraternity & Sorority Life (DFSL):


Poison Control:


Technology Services


Cable TV (Fraternity Row only)


Work Order


Emergency Contact Information:

If calling 911 from a land line (campus phone):
The call will directly be routed to the UMD Police emergency response.

If calling 911 from a cell phone:
Call 301.405.3333 (or #3333 if on campus) for University Police, or 911, and the call will be routed to PG Emergency response. When you state your address the call will be routed to the UMD Police emergency response.

Back to Top